When coming up with a custom website design there are some key factors to keep in mind. There is a lot that goes into creating a website that not only looks good but also functions well. Having a well-optimized website is critical for a number of things such as search engine ranking and user experience. This is where these web design principles can help you. By ensuring that you incorporate these principles into your website, you can take the right steps towards creating an online experience that your users will surely enjoy.
Web Design Principles:
- Functions Well: Before you think about doing anything, it is important to make sure that your website is optimized and functions properly. This means having a site that runs smoothly and does not have any glitches or bugs. Similar to how you would make sure a car runs well before doing cosmetic work, a website is the same way. Having a well put together website will also say a lot about you and your commitment to providing a great user experience.
- The Purpose: The next principle to keep in mind when designing your website is figuring out the purpose of the site. Is the website for information? Is it for entertainment? Are you creating a store? By ensuring your website has a clear purpose, you can create a more cohesive experience for your users while having a clear objective to focus on when creating and improving your website.
- Connect with Your Users: For many people on the internet, they want to find the information they need as fast as possible. Being able to communicate and connect with your users not only offers a personal connection but it provides them with an easy and fast way to get the services they are looking for. However, there are also ways you can communicate with your users as well such as using headlines, bullet points, and clear and easy to read information. Try to avoid long sentences or wordy paragraphs.
- Font: An important aspect of custom web design is the font face of your text. You want to select a font that is professional and easy to read. It is also important to size the fonts accordingly so people are able to read it with ease.
- Color Scheme: It is important to have a cohesive color scheme that looks good while also improving the usability and visibility of the website. You want a theme that makes important information pop, while also giving a clean aesthetic that is pleasing to look at. Another thing to remember is that less is more. White space is also a great way to make your website look less cluttered.
- Pictures: Pictures are a great way to convey information in a quick and aesthetically pleasing way. Images catch the eye, so this is a good way to market your brand and to inform your users. However, make sure that you do not go overboard. Too many pictures can be overwhelming and it can slow down your website.
- Mobile Friendly: Nowadays most people browse the internet using their mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. So if you want to tap into this large source of traffic, it is important to take the steps needed to create a website that is optimized for mobile use.
- Ease of Navigation: People won’t waste their time on a website that is hard to navigate. So you want to thoroughly think out your design and create a layout that offers clear and easy navigation that anyone can use the first time they visit your website.
- The Design: Figuring out a design for your website may be the hardest part, as this is the foundation for the entire site. There are many different kinds of designs you can use such as the F pattern or a grid-based design. Depending on the style and purpose of your website, you want to determine which design fits your needs best. A popular design is the grid layout as this allows you to easily organize and arrange your content. However, the F pattern is also great as it lays out important info on the top of the website and on the left side; this is where most people typically look first when browsing a website.
Keeping these web design principles in mind when creating a website of your own, will help you create a cohesive and optimized site that provides your users with a superb experience. These are principles that every professional web designer uses and should be worth considering when building a website for your own business.