It’s only natural that you’d want your website to look like something from 2019 instead of 2009. You want to offer your customers something new and interesting instead of the same old boring features and interactions. Not to mention, there always comes a time when we outgrow things – your website has simply gotten too old and irrelevant.
Planning to create a new web design that takes your business to the next level? Where should you begin? To build a new website, one has to plan and strategize carefully. During the initial stages, you could find yourself deciding between a ready-made platform, like WordPress, or custom web design. One of the best things about WordPress is that it allows businesses to forego hiring a web designer or writing codes. Despite this, however, a lot of people would argue that it’s not necessarily the best platform for site creation. Yes, it’s more affordable and ultimately offers you a decent-enough website. But is “decent” going to cut it in this incredibly competitive industry? This article will help you make the decision that’s truly best for your company by listing down the advantages and disadvantages of a WordPress and custom website.
In your quest to build a new and improved, website you can either opt for hiring a web designer to create your website from scratch or go for pre-made WordPress themes. With either option, you can count on Proweaver to assist you with website design, back-end coding, search engine optimization, and many other areas.
So, should you choose custom website design or WordPress? Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of each.
What Is Custom Website Design?
There are limits to the modifications WordPress can provide, so owners can’t really be as creative as they want when building their website. This is when custom website design comes in with its limitless design possibilities. If you aim for a larger, more complex website that offers unique features then you should definitely go for a customized site. To get started, you need to hire a web designer who specializes in the job. You’ll find a good number of candidates to help in custom website creation at Proweaver.
Advantages of Choosing Custom Website Design
- You can be as unique as you possibly can. A custom website can help you stand out from the crowd better than a site made with WordPress templates. WordPress has limits that may not allow you to integrate unique functionality into your website.
- It has better “searchability.” A WordPress website isn’t as search engine-friendly as a custom site and would likely have a lower web ranking. As a business looking to gain as many leads as possible and to boost internet conversions, this is very important to note.
- Building a custom website allows you to have more support. You’re basically working with an experienced web designer who specializes in custom website design, so whenever problems occur, the professional will always have the power to fix them.
- You can have a better business website. The only constant in the world of business is change, and your website has to adapt to these rapid changes. Having a custom website makes it easier for you to create new changes to your site without having to start from scratch. Scalability is one of the biggest advantages of building a custom website, and you simply need to contact the company who developed the site and have them redesign it for you.
- A website that stays true to your brand. Because the themes offered by WordPress are limited, you can’t really incorporate your company’s brand in a unique way. With a custom website, you can unleash your creativity and build a site that’s distinctive and immediately identifiable by your target audiences.
- Custom websites can be designed specifically to meet your needs and goals. One really awesome advantage of a custom-built website is that you can have it structured around your unique vision for your company. When you opt for custom website design, you will have a lot more creative freedom and can build a website with functionality that is more complex.
- Acquiring a custom website means you don’t have to go through the hassle of constantly updating it. Since you’ve put a lot of strategy into creating your website, you don’t have to worry about having it updated frequently. You know that it’s going to be performing well for a considerable stretch of time without needing updates.
Disadvantages of Custom Website Design
- We’ll be honest and tell you that creating a website from scratch is going to be much more expensive than building one with templates from WordPress. However, when you think about the main benefit of choosing custom web design – having a website designed to meet your business needs and goals – the high price you have to pay no longer sounds too bad. Proweaver can guarantee you affordable web design services structured around your budget, so there’s really nothing to worry about.
- Custom websites take longer to create. If you’re in a rush to launch your website, then choosing to have one customized might not be the best decision. Creating a website using WordPress takes a lot less time and effort.
- When you choose custom website design, it’s not just the site creation that takes longer but also the changes that need to be done to the site as well. If you plan to do any changes to your site, expect it to take more time to accomplish, especially since you’ll have to rely on the availability of your developers.
What You Need to Know About WordPress
WordPress is a free website building platform originally made to create blogs. In recent years, however, it has evolved to become a more complex tool for building sites. People choose WordPress mainly because it’s so simple to use and only requires basic web knowledge to operate. There’s no need for you to learn about coding, work with a professional web designer, or be an expert in programming languages to be able to take advantage of this platform. There’s still a good number of websites existing today that were developed using WordPress. To make a decision on whether or not to choose this website creation tool, here’s a list of its advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of WordPress
- Building websites through WordPress is much faster as opposed to creating it from scratch. The reason for this is that the content management system will allow you to focus more on design and content. If you are pressed for time in launching your website, then WordPress will allow for a swifter site creation process to help you make the deadline.
- You will have an entire library of ready-made themes when you opt for WordPress. Not everyone can just make up their own theme, so instead of struggling to do that, you can just choose from the many excellent options made available to you by this tool. This platform is perfect if you are looking to instantly redesign your website.
- WordPress is a reliable tool for website building. There’s an entire community of web professionals working together to ensure that the system is working perfectly and that any bugs or security loops are detected right away. There are constant updates that you can immediately download in order to provide added protection to your website.
- If you’re concerned about your website’s ranking on search engines, you can simply rely on SEO plug-ins for WordPress. H1 tags, Meta Description, and Meta Titles are plug-ins that allow you to make SEO additions to your website. Furthermore, a good number of these plug-ins can also determine how optimized your site is for search engines.
- WordPress themes are effective on a variety of interfaces whether it’s mobile phones, PC’s, or tablets. Users experience the same quality interactions, regardless of what device they’re using to view your website. This could prove incredibly beneficial as most users tend to view websites from their phones and other gadgets.
- The very root of WordPress is blogging. It’s a built-in feature that you can always use to your advantage. If you’re into blogging and posting articles on your website, then WordPress is definitely for you.
WordPress is affordable. If you happen to be concerned about the budget for your web project, then WordPress should be able to ease your mind. WordPress themes are incredibly affordable, and they’re already there, so you don’t have to spend more money on a professional to create designs for you. You’ll be able to save on time too, which means there is really no need to break bank.
- WordPress is perfect if you’re catching up on a deadline. Choosing a WordPress theme is not similar to building a website from scratch. For this reason, you’re able to hasten the web design process and save yourself a lot of time and money as well. Let’s say you’re given a few months to put forth your web project; WordPress would then make an excellent option for you.
Disadvantages of WordPress
- While WordPress does offer you a bevy of themes to choose from, it might not be easy to customize these themes according to your preferences. The end result: you may find other websites looking the same as yours. If you are determined to customize the theme, however, you can always work with professional a web developer at Proweaver who knows the ins and outs of WordPress. This, however, would also entail additional expenses and more time and effort put into your web project.
- There may be a constant rolling out of updates and security patches on WordPress, but that still may not be enough to keep hackers from infiltrating your site. Your site is most vulnerable to hackers during the time when patches are being built.
- Websites created using WordPress are going to need frequent maintenance. As mentioned above, WordPress regularly releases security patches and updates to protect sites from hackers. For this reason, experts are needed to not only help in the installation of these patches but to ensure their maintenance as well.
- Flexibility isn’t something you can expect from WordPress. This platform is designed to rescue you from the perils of CSS or HTML. It provides a framework, which works as a “plug-and-play” option, for you to place your website content. It is for this reason that custom web design wins the flexibility competition between these two options.
- WordPress themes are not going to help you stand out from the crowd. A major downside of using this platform is that it’s probably what many other businesses are using as well. Nevertheless, don’t worry because Proweaver can assist you on this matter. If you still prefer to use WordPress in the site-building process, our combination of quality content creation and visual branding will allow it to appear different from other sites using a similar theme.
Which Is the Best Option for You: WordPress Themes or Custom Website Design?
Custom website design and WordPress each have their own advantages and disadvantages, but ultimately you will have to decide what the best option is depending on your needs, goals, and budget.
Which option are you leaning towards, and why? Share your answer in the comment section below.